Here at SVC, we are proud of the everyday milestones our members are accomplishing. Every month, we round up your achievements to share with our community. Below, you’ll see just some of the impact our members are making in the world. Congratulations to our members, and keep up the great work!
- MPOWERD just launched their latest Luci light in an Indiegogo crowdfunding campaign for the first ever modular Solar Bike Light set, bringing clean energy to clean transportation. The Luci Bike Light is an innovative take on the bike light: rugged yet modern, durable yet sleek, and ideal for the adventurous commuter. Luci Bike Light includes a front and back light that connect through an industrial strength magnet, is rechargeable via solar or USB, and shines up to 100 lumens. It is scheduled to ship in May 2020. Learn more about the different perks in the campaign here.The campaign is scheduled to run until December 31st, 2019, so be sure to back it if you’re interested!
- Alante Capital, a venture capital fund investing in the sustainable future of apparel production and retail, welcomes its first companies to the portfolio, and is officially launched! They have invested in Mango Materials, which replaces petroleum-based polymers and enables a biodegradable alternative to polyester, as well as Tyton BioSciences, a clean, closed-loop process to recycle and recover apparel waste enabling new fibers to be made from old clothes.
- Mark Donahue, Founder & CEO of LifeGuides, is featured on the Conscious Leaders podcast with Serenity Labs to discuss topics such as being a compassionate leader, what a new era of exponential creativity looks like, the future of jobs, and becoming friends with the universe. Mark is an expert in impact and triple bottom line economies for over 30 years. Listen in here.
- Some terrific news from Solstice: another Solstice solar farm is officially online in New York, bringing savings to the more than 300 local subscribers that have enrolled! Developed by their partner Forefront Power, the farm will bring about $45,000 in annual household savings to the Hudson Valley. Another Forefront-Solstice solar farm serving 300 subscribers in the Hudson Valley is turning on imminently – and both farms have been thriving amidst the beautiful fall foliage in New York. Donate to Solstice to help them further their mission, and Patagonia will match it until December 31!
- Catch Greg Hemmings on this podcast and learn what a brand activism film is, along with more tips on how to use storytelling to grow your business.
- Last month, Nell Derick Debevoise penned this piece on Forbes entitled “The Root Cause of Today’s Obsession with Corporate Purpose”. Read it here.
- Nathalie Molina Niño launches Buildercapitalist.org, which will advocate for investors who want to make closely-held bets on entrepreneurs via private holding companies, revenue-sharing arrangements, and equity and debt financial structures that could be more supportive of founders trying to build long-term wealth. See the piece written about it on Bloomberg here, and check out the organization’s website.
- Marissa Feinberg, marketer, brand storyteller, and . founder of Triple Bottom Why, also wears another hat as an actress. She currently plays Mrs. Loftus, a ‘90s computer class teacher on Crown Lake, Season 2, by Brat TV, a Gen Z streaming platform with ~13 million viewers. Each week, one episode will be released. After all episodes are streaming, they will also be available on Amazon Prime Video. Watch Marissa in EPISODE 2 here: https://youtu.be/DM7AfMWooJo
- Join 100+ outstanding women social enterprise leaders for SVI (Social Venture Institute) Women in Petaluma, California April 14th-16th for 3 days of problem-solving, learning, innovating, reflecting, connecting, and bonding. Spend 3 days with 100+ women leaders problem-solving, learning, innovating, reflecting, connecting, and bonding. Use Code SVC15 for a discount. See more info here.
- The StartOut Growth Lab is a startup accelerator that offers an experience like no other. Join fellow LGBTQ+ entrepreneurs in a 6 month program custom tailored to your goals. Upon completion of your program, you will join the ranks of 25 graduated companies that have raised over $33M in funding and created 147+ new jobs. Applications now open for Spring 2020 Cohort. Apply here!
- Powerhouse, the hub for clean energy innovation in the Bay Area, is working with Silicon Valley Clean Energy to host the GridShift Hackathon. At GridShift, software developers and energy enthusiasts will come together at Google Launchpad in San Francisco to create solutions for achieving deep decarbonization in the Bay Area and beyond. Over the course of 24 hours, teams will work with the Bay Area’s leading clean energy providers to address issues of resiliency, equity, and access in competition of $16,000 in cash prizes. Use the code SVCIMPACT to get tickets (including food & drink) for just $15. Register here.
- Applications Now Open for the Multicultural Innovation Lab with Morgan Stanley. The Multicultural Innovation Lab is an accelerator program within Morgan Stanley supporting technology and technology-enabled startups led by a multicultural or woman entrepreneur and/or management team. As part of the Morgan Stanley Plastic Waste Resolution, the 2020 cohort will also welcome startups that aid in the prevention, reduction and removal of plastic waste. Learn more here.
- ACA will be hosting the inaugural ACA Angel University at the 2020 Summit on May 11 and 12 before the 2020 ACA Summit in Denver for accredited investors wanting a deeper understanding of crucial investment topics. The event will consist of two tracks and six courses that can be combined for a customized learning experience based on interests and level of knowledge. Register here for the ACA University Program and here for the 2020 ACA Summit in Denver. Please note that SVC Members get ACA member rates.
- Another ACA Resource: Join a peer group to connect with similarly interested investors via ACA member affinity and peer groups to collaborate, share expertise, deals and best practices with fellow angels. See more info and sign up here.
- Criterion Institute’s signature convening, Convergence, will take place March 30 – April 1, 2020 in Simsbury, Connecticut. This unique gathering of catalytic change-makers will bring together leaders and pioneers from philanthropy, finance, government, and the social sector to move forward specific and tangible ideas to leverage the power of finance to address gender-based violence. Learn more and register here.
- Join the New England International Donors (NEID) for a multi-part online (webinar) and in-person event that teaches audiences how to adopt new tools to invest towards lasting change! Moderated by Ellen Remmer and Pat Dinneen.During this series will cover how to:
- “Deep dive” into examples of Impact Investments from beneficiaries.
- Identify challenges and risks of unintended consequences.
- Gain practical tips on how to get started and/or scale up. Register here.
- If you haven’t seen the B2B Social Enterprise Directory yet, be sure to check out the new SVC and One World resource, which connects innovative socially-driven startups & small businesses with corporates and larger enterprises. More access to new partnerships + new business opportunities = a stronger social impact ecosystem. Access the beta version here.
- Owóksape, which translates to “learning place” in Lakota, is an online language learning portal devoted entirely to the Lakota language. The first of its kind, Owóksape provides Lakota speaking and learning communities with an innovative and cutting-edge tool for revitalizing and learning the Lakota language. Owóksape will allow thousands of Lakota a way to learn their ancestral language. The project is looking for tech support in the form of in-kind donations to help expand this resource. If you or someone you know would like to help, get in contact here.